• Composition: 1953. A composite work, with each movement written by a different composer. Walton contributed the finale.
• First Performance: 20 June 1953. Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Aldeburgh. Aldeburgh Festival Orchestra, Benjamin Britten conductor.
• Duration: Complete work: About 16 minutes - Walton’s finale: About 3 minutes
Theme by William Byrd, transcribed by Imogen Holst
Variation 1 - Allegro non troppo by Arthur Oldham
Variation 2 - A Lament. Andante espressivo by Sir Michael Tippett
Variation 3 - Andante by Sir Lennox Berkeley
Variation 4 - Quick and gay by Benjamin Britten
Variation 5 - Nocturne. Adagio by Humphrey Searle
Variation 6 - Presto giocoso by Sir William Walton
• Craggs Catalogue Number: C61
• Instrumentation: String orchestra
• Manuscript: James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection. Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. Osborn Music Manuscript MS.502. Autograph manuscript of all seven sections.
• Publication: Boosey and Hawkes. 1953. Score and parts are available on hire.
|Guidhall String Ensemble||Robert Salter director||1988||RCA Victor RD87846||15’53”|
|BBC Symphony Orchestra||Jac van Steen||1999||NMC D062||16’21”|