• Composition: 1979, titled Salute to Sir Robert Mayer on his 100th Birthday. Revised in preparation for publication in 1980.
• First Performance: 5 June 1979. Royal Festival Hall, London. Twelve trumpet players, aged 14 to 18.
• Duration: Under 1 minute
• Craggs Catalogue Number: C97
• Instrumentation: 3 trumpets in C, 3 trombones – percussion (snare drum). Note: Snare drum is only required when moving directly on into Walton’s arrangement of God Save the Queen.
Original Version: 12 trumpets in B-flat
• Manuscript: Frederick R. Koch Collection. Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. Manuscript FRKF 620. Autograph full score. 1 page.
• Publication: Oxford University Press, 1980. Re-published in 1987 as part of “Introduction and National Anthem”, together with Walton’s arrangement of God Save the Queen. Score and parts are available on hire. Materials available for purchase:
|Introduction and National Anthem||1987||Study score||ISBN 019 3685663|
|1987||Set of parts||ISBN 019 3685671|
|Introduction to the National Anthem||1980||Score||ISBN 019 3594099||Discontinued|
• Recordings: This work has never been recorded.